Monday, January 9, 2012

Pepper Spray Testing Methodology

Ok, that title makes this sound far more sophisticated than it actually is. Basically, I don't want to have to deal with the 45 minutes of hell that a decent pepper spray will put you through if sprayed to the face, but I still want to be able to compare sprays. So, with each spray I will be doing the following:

1) Spray into an open, outdoor area to gauge its effective range, its spread, resistance to wind, etc.
2) Spray briefly (1/4-1/2 second) onto my forearm with the palm up, to estimate raw heat.
3) Take a deep breath near the spray site on my forearm to judge its effects on breathing.

Obviously no spray's effects will be as impressive on my forearm as on my face, but so long as I test each spray the same way, I should get accurate relative rankings of the sprays.

That's it! Nothing fancy there at all.

P.S. It's far above my pay grade, but there's a company called Pepperball Technologies that manufactures what amount to paintballs filled with a powder mixture that contains a synthetic version of capsaicin (It goes by PAVA, Capsaicin II, and some other names). The chemical is just as hot as capsaicin, and their most intense mixture is 5% PAVA. Considering the hottest CLAIM (not substantiated) for a regular spray is 3.0% CRC, and probably only half of those, if that, are the hottest capsaicinoids, that powder mixture is over 2 times more powerful than the world's hottest pepper spray. Scary! And I want some :)

No comments:

Post a Comment