Monday, January 9, 2012

UDAP Clip on Commander Review (15% OC, 3,000,000 SHU)

From what I’ve read, UDAP is quite a reputable company, and everything about my experience so far confirms this. They have their own website, are quite clear about how pepper sprays do and do not work, and the product I received was well-packaged. I ordered their Clip on Commander spray.


It sprays a narrow cone fog pattern, and probably doesn’t have an effective range of more than 5-6 feet, if that. Actually, when I first opened the product, the trigger on the nozzle wouldn’t depress much at all, and it shot a couple of 6 inch bursts. Once the trigger got broken in, it shot cone fog patterns about 5-6 feet.

The effect on my forearm skin was somewhere between Sabre’s keychain product (nonexistent) and the Sabre pocket unit. That is, I could discern a sensation of burning, but honestly I probably wouldn’t have even noticed it if I hadn’t been looking for it.

The respiratory effects are a WHOLLY different animal . Smelling the spray site on my forearm induced coughing and sneezing for a couple minutes, and even now (15 minutes later) my nose is still burning. Since I prefer weighting respiratory effects over skin effects (an assailant that can’t open his eyes is one thing; one that can’t breathe is another entirely), this is likely the cream of my limited crop so far.

However, since it is well known and common sense that a fog will affect the respiratory system more, I’m not sure how much of this sprays advantage in respiratory effects is due to the formulation of the spray itself and how much is due to the cone pattern. I have some Fox Labs cone spray units on the way, so that should give me a good comparison point. My intuition suggests that it’s the fog delivery system doing most of the work, though. Also, this is the only unit I’ve tested that had the so-called “cop top” design, and I really prefer that to the other designs where you have to rotate the nozzle to make it spray-ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment